1. Two ACA elementary children came to know Jesus Christ personally this month! A girl at home and a boy at school. Praise the Lord!
2. During Professional learning on Friday, Jan. 12 a doctor shared with elementary faculty about vision challenges that effect learning and vision therapy. Teachers learned much from the presentation.
3. During the day long professional learning on Monday, Jan. 15th:
Pastor Brian Ruggles shared a devotion with faculty, Dr. and Mrs. Robinson treated faculty and staff to biscuits and gravy for breakfast. Lisa Ihnen, one of ACA's 5th grade teacher, presented information about Reading/ Literacy research and teaching strategies for our K-12 faculty. Our Heartland Area Education Association's Technology Consultant shared MANY great technology resources for classroom use to engage student learners. Lieutenant Kroska, Police Officer Shellhase and Fire Marshall Fraser presented with me about emergency preparedness in case of a violent intruder, need for lock down and or evacuation.
4. A school wide pep assembly was held on Friday, Jan. 19 where a schoolphoto was taken to celebrate the school's 25th year. A cheer leading clinic was offered where elementary girls were able to bring much cheer to our homecoming game that evening.
5. Congressman David Young was welcomed to ACA by Mrs. England's kindergarten students on Tuesday. Jan. 23. He spoke at a 6th-12th grade student assembly where he shared that he was a born again believer and answered various student questions about his role as a congressman and how he serves Iowans. He read to second and fourth grade children the book, House Mouse Senate Mouse written by Peter W. Barnes and illustrated by Cheryl Shaw Barnes. He donated a copy of the book to ACA's library.
6. The evening of Tuesday, Jan. 23 ACA held an Open House for Begindergarten and Kindergarten aged children to prepare for our Round Up in early March. We had 29 children attend with their parents and guardians to learn more about these great programs and their enrollment process. A safari theme screamed, "We are WILD about ACA!" Check out the bulletin board in the main lobby sharing families' appreciation about God's school, Ankeny Christan Academy.
7. Thursday, Jan. 25 was our ACA Science Fair where 4th, 6th, 8th and 10th grade students shared their research and experiments with almost 20 judges. I am grateful for the diligent work of our four science teachers who assisted the children at school. Thanks to those of you at home who assisted in hours of preparation with your scientists for this special event.
If the first month of 2018 is an indicator of the rest of the school year, there will be many more exciting happenings yet to come so watch for the next Hansen's Highlights!